PAVILLON DES TEMPS NOUVEAUX
LE CORBUSIER AND P. JEANNERET
Columbia University, New York, 2009
The exhibition was located in the main 400 level of Avery Hall. This is the space of encounter of faculty, students, and staff of Columbia GSAPP. The debate that was organized during the exhibition in the 100 lower activated the debate and the space that hosted it. The circulation in the gallery space was so busy that the best solution was to place the panels on the adjacent walls. This way, the visitors were surrounded from both sides by the exhibition. The only interruptions in the walls were by the doors of the offices and classrooms. INFO
The movies and model provided other means of expression in addition to the printed drawings and images. They had an important role of expanding the limits of the exhibition space and activating its core. The first movie was an introduction to the subject and the second one was specific about the topic. The model was one of the central pieces of the exhibition. It was strategically placed next to the plans of the built Pavilion so that people could find a reference between the drawings, images, and the model. It was also the usual place around which the conversations and debates would take place.
The goal of the exhibition was to challenge and activate the core of Columbia University GSAPP. It created a link between the advance research done in the design studios and a project from 1937, which was the synthesis of Le Corbusier’s work. Thus this expanded present provoked and broadened the scope of the work in the school. People had to measure themselves with a masterpiece of modern architecture and question the moment in which we live now.
Commission, February 2009
Area: 120m2 gallery, 100m2 drawings
Client: Columbia University GSAPP
Architect: Ivan Shumkov